Monday, February 7, 2011

A Prayer from Pax Christi USA

By Dom Helder Camara



I will not believe in the law of the strongest,

In the language of guns,

In the power of the powerful.



I want to believe in the right of all,

In the open hand,

In the strength of the non-violent.



I will not believe in race or riches.

In privileges,

In the established order.



I want to believe that all human beings

Are human beings

And that the order of force and of injustice

Is a disorder.



I will not believe that I don't have to concern myself

With what happens far from here.



I want to believe that the whole world

Is my home, the field that I sow,

And that all reap what all have sown.



I will not believe that I can combat oppression out there

If I tolerate injustice here.



I want to believe that what is right

Is the same here and there

And that I will not be free

While even one human being is excluded.



I will not believe that war and hunger are inevitable

And that peace is inaccessible.



I want to believe in the love of bare hands,

In peace on earth.



I will not believe that any effort is in vain.

I will not believe that the dream of human beings

Continues being only a dream

And that death is the end.



But I dare to believe in the dream of God:

A new heaven, a new earth

Where justice reigns.

No comments:

Post a Comment